El Paso VA Health Care System
Currently Recruiting: Become a Volunteer Driver
The El Paso VA Health Care System, VA Voluntary Service, needs volunteer drivers to support the Veterans Transportation Network and Shuttle Cart Service.
Volunteer Transportation Network
- Veteran Transportation Network drivers volunteer their time to provide transportation to Veterans who do not have other means of getting to their medical appointments. Patients are picked up from their home and driven to the El Paso VA Heath Care System. Volunteers are a vital component in helping Veteran patients receive the medical attention they need.
Shuttle Cart Service
- Volunteer shuttle cart drivers are also needed to provide transportation from the parking areas to the front entrance of the El Paso VA Health Care System. This is an added service to our Veteran patients who may have a disability which prohibits them from walking long distances. Our Veterans truly appreciate this service.
To obtain information on how to become a Veterans Transportation Network or Shuttle Cart Driver, please contact the VA Voluntary Service Office at (915) 564-7885.
Volunteers perform very vital functions to ensure that our veterans enjoy their visit to our facility. Some of the positions available are:
- Appointment Ambassador - Call patients to remind them of upcoming appointments
- Administrative Clerk - Volunteers assist staff members with answering phones and general clerical work such as filing, typing as well as assisting veteran patients and visitors.
- Drivers for DAV Transportation Network - Transport veterans to and from their VA appointments.
- Escort Ambassador - greet visitors, provide information/directions, check out wheelchairs, escort veterans by wheelchair to appointment.
- Mobile Book Cart - Our volunteers deliver books, magazines and newspapers.
- Patient Ambassador - check-in patients at different medical clinics
- Refreshment Servers - serve refreshments to veterans
- Records Room - Answering phones, sorting, filing or retrieving documents
- Pharmacy Staff Support - Label and package prescriptions for mailout
- Shuttle Cart Driver- Our volunteers provide shuttle cart service to the front entrance of the facility from the parking areas.
All potential volunteers will need to complete an application and pass a background check. Volunteers will also attend a 4 hour orientation session which covers training mandated by Central Office. This orientation is an introduction to the Medical Center as well as its policies, functions and objectives. Volunteers must complete mandatory training annually. It is also an opportunity to learn about volunteer service procedures within the medical center.
Volunteers are required to receive a tuberculin skin test when they begin volunteering. This test is administered free of charge. The test must be repeated on an annual basis in order to keep your volunteer status with the VA. Photo identification badges will be issued to each volunteer by our Security Office upon completion of background investigation. The Supervisor in the assigned area will provide job specific training.
To start the process, contact:
- Voluntary Service Office
El Paso VA Health Care System
5001 N Piedras
El Paso, TX
Hours of Operation:
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 8 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. (except Federal holidays).
- Tuesday, 9 a.m. through 4:30 p.m